According to the World Health Organization, the definition of being healthy is “"a state of complete physical, mental, and social well being, not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." But the pursuit for optimal health in a society riddled with “super-sizing”, excessive fat intake, and inactivity, is proving to be chore that many adults, and teenagers for that matter, are not willing to engage in. Take this into consideration:
The United States Government has set out to determine the nutritional status of Americans in recent years. Comprehensive study has revealed that “marginal nutrient deficiencies” exist in approximately 50 – 60 percent of the U.S. population. What’s more, for some selected nutrients in certain age groups, more than 80 percent of the group(s) consumed less than the DRIs, or Dietary Reference Intakes (formerly the RDAs). These figures are absolutely shocking.
Every adult knows what they should be doing to improve his/her health. We’ve been told time and time again to:
· Exercise at least 30min. 3 days/week,
· Reduce our fat intakes, especially those of the saturated and trans-fat variety,
· Drink more water,
· Avoid sugars and fructose-based syrups, and
· Eat more grains, leans meats, and vegetables.
But, again, clinical data says that the majority do not follow these simple guidelines. This is likely due to a number of factors, including; individual time constraints, misinformation, fear, or lack of discipline. So what can you do to become healthier?
Well, whether you’re included in the abovementioned category or not, a multi-vitamin/mineral formula should be the foundation on which you build your nutritional program upon. The fact is not everyone will exercise on a consistent basis, refrain from super-sizing at their favorite fast food joint, or address key dietary factors that may lead to an improvement in their health status. Look, obtaining all of the key nutrients needed for vital bodily-processes solely from diet is theory. You should be able to do it. The reality? Most adults will never obtain all the nutrients needed to thwart disease and maintain optimal health. Thus, multi-vitamins exist and the primary defense mechanism for those seeking an improvement in their lives.
What is a good Multivitamin?
A good “multi” should be like one of the reviewed products - a harmonious blend of ingredients that work synergistically to provide for maximum absorbability and effectiveness in the body. We believe that your multi-vitamin/mineral should support optimal nutrition. This means that the product should not just repair the obvious and non-obvious signs of nutrient deficiency, but also work to help you function at the highest degree of emotional and physical well being.*
* Many individuals experience improved brain function, elevated energy levels, and suffer from fewer colds or infection when taking a good multi-vitamin and mineral formula. On the other hand, some users feel nothing. If you are an individual who doesn’t feel an immediate change, it doesn’t mean that the multi-vitamin isn’t working. The nutrients are being assimilated and the results of your multi-vitamin supplementation will likely be seen over the long term. For example, lessening your risk factors for heart disease, decreasing homocysteine levels, or minimizing other risk factors associated with cancer.